Paradigm Shift in the Education System
Education systems are undergoing a great paradigm shift. Teaching and Learning is also evolving to cope up with the changes. There is a massive teaching and learning pedagogical revolution, which needs to be understood, teachers professionally trained and school management to implement the concepts in the hearts of the children. And why not? While everything around is changing, then why not Education?In order to better understand your own vision, you need a rational reference centre towards all aspects of Education. Basically, there are three (3) aspects to Education – Teaching process, Learning process and ‘Creating an Environment’ process. As a parent, who has been educated under the traditional education system, your primary vision for a child’s education is always limited to ‘a teacher as a source of knowledge’, ‘notebooks as a way of imparting that knowledge’ and ‘a classroom as the only essential environment’. Success, to these parents, are primarily percentages of marks scored by the children. Are you missing out on learning how to face life and solve problems? Today the World is changing rapidly, jobs are changing, students are also changing. We all need to understand and explore the aspects of education which have a universal perspective, i.e. imparting an education that is accepted not by the local community, but by a wider world. School is an organization that imparts education, is designed to benefit kids with learning, therefore a school must naturally possess different learning styles, that suits every child.
Education is the manifestation of the perfection within every child. Expressing that Divinity from within, is teaching and learning. India is emerging to be a great contributor and a winner to lead the world. And these are the children that are going to make India proud. One lion can rule this world and not millions of sheep? “Make a lion” says ~ Swami Vivekananda.
The educator’s role in the emerging global dynamics and new societal perspectives is changing. Ideas such as ‘students as co-learners’, ‘parents as stakeholders’ and ‘schools as centres of emotional sustenance’ ~ are being explored. So, it’s not like a teacher is teaching and students are listening quietly, as it used to be. Now students participate, do their own learning. Education governs our relationships and behaviour within social institutions. Our children interact in school, home, and community are outcomes of individual emotions, desires, attitudes, and aspirations. The modern schools need to seriously reflect, evolve a system to have the following practices:
- Collaboration – A method of exchanging ideas, that allows us to transform our learning and develop new ways of teaching. Not just amongst teachers, even teachers and students should collaborate, work and discuss the topics together to achieve a defined and common purpose. Parents are also invited to collaborate with teachers for Unit Planning.
- Globalisation – A process of working at an international scale. At school, Globalisation provides an opportunity to connect diverse education systems and learn the best of practices from all other schools of this world. Educating with multi regional children, understanding their cultures and accepting that others with their differences are also right gives a global mindset to any student. Organising University Fairs helps parents and students to understand their own career aspirations and courses available worldwide.
- Teacher Empowerment – Teachers are required to update their awareness through professional development (PD) trainings. Only an empowered teacher can develop 21st century skills and competencies in students. According to the International Baccalaureate (IB) philosophy, teachers are required to be trained by reputed IB professionals at frequent intervals, so that they are empowered to train the kids for the future.
- Rapid technological change – With increased emphasis on Digital medium, technology is a part of routine. Our children are required to be trained; you get connected with the external brain called Advanced computer.
- Rethinking Teaching – A dynamic and modern learning society is inclusive, learner centric, and perceives learning as an activity ~ always a fun activity. Learn to tell and share stories, do things in the field? It motivates, engages, challenges, and recognizes that students learn at different paces from each other and have different abilities. It values the new thinking on assessments and evaluations and builds new connections between learners and innovations in education. It is required to develop the attitude of Love for Learning.
- Global Schools – As educators, we must strive to create an environment whereby our schools are not only a laboratory of learning, but produce future citizens with feelings of compassion, a sense of justice and equity, empathy, and a concern for global, national and rural issues.
Victorious Kidss Educares (VKE) is one such IB World School that believes in evolving with the changes happening all around the World. International Baccalaureate aim to do more than the curriculum. At VKE, they emphasise towards~
- Building a good, loyal, committed, truthful character.
- Developing the will power and concentration.
- Be responsible learners and apply acquired knowledge in the real world.
Isn’t it what you want for your child? This is a message from, one mother to the other mothers of the world.